November Is Lung Cancer Awareness Month
November 18, 2018Advice
These are dismal statistics and it is very crucial to raise awareness and promote education about lung cancer.
- Lung cancer accounts for about 27 percent of all cancer deaths and is by far the leading cause of cancer death among both men and women.
- Lung cancer kills 433 Americans every day.
- Every 3.3 mins someone dies of lung cancer in US.
- Lung cancer is not solely a smoker’s disease. It is also seen in nonsmokers.
- A study by the National Cancer Institute and the National Lung Screening Trial found that low-dose screening CT scans reduce the number of deaths from lung cancer by 20%.
The right candidates for low-dose screening CT scans are:
- Be between 55-77 years of age
- Be asymptomatic (no signs or symptoms of lung cancer)
- Have at least a 30 pack-year history (1 pack year = smoking one pack per day for one year; 1 pack = 20 cigarettes)
- Be a current smoker or have quit in the last 15 years